Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Embarking On a New Journey

As a music therapy major at The Florida State University, I often get discouraged and lose focus of why I chose to put myself through the struggle that comes with being a music major at any university. Between practicing, studying, attending several one-credit classes per week, participating in ensembles, working a part-time job, attempting to get an adequate amount of sleep, and trying to maintain some aspect of a social life, it is easy to lose motivation. Fortunately, attending AMTA (American Music Therapy Association) conferences twice a year reignites the fire and serves as a reminder of why I chose Music Therapy as my future profession as a sophomore in high school. This past weekend, I traveled to Spartanburg, South Carolina for the South Eastern Region's annual American Music Therapy Association conference. Not only did I learn a great deal of information, but I also had a chance to visit with old friends and establish new friendships with students and professionals from all over the south-eastern United States. 

At SER-AMTA '11, I was introduced to many of my colleague's blogs and decided to create my own to serve as a source for both current and future music therapy interns, to bounce ideas off of other professionals, and to document my six month journey as a music therapy intern at Hospice of Palm Beach County. 

Two months from today will be my first day as a music therapy intern in West Palm Beach, Florida. I will be working with with patients in one of the largest and most diverse counties in The United States and could not be more excited.

Stay tuned in the coming months for more hopes, dreams, and fears of an intern in the growing field of music therapy.
 

4 comments:

  1. Great blog Elisa... I'm hooked! And, I live close to West Palm Beach. If you ever want to meet up for a coffee please shot me an email :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle!!! I will DEFINITELY email you when I get down there! I will be in desperate need for socialization! I don't know anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading Elisa!

    ReplyDelete