Monday, June 20, 2011

From a Different Perspective

Today was so amazing I just have to blog about it! I got to spend the entire day with one of the Integrative Therapists! The ITs are licensed massage therapists, but most of them also have training in Reiki, reflexology, aromatherapy, breathwork, and guided imagery. It was a really interesting chance to see the role that a different discipline plays in the hospice setting. Our first patient was residing in a halfway house (I had to look that up, so for those of you who aren't familiar with the term, it's a house for recovering substance abusers). This patient was middle-aged and had a primary diagnosis of cancer. The IT was referred to help with pain and breathing. The IT used peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils on the patient's chest to open up the airways. She then massaged certain points in the pt's hands and feet to reach nerves that connect to visceral (inner) organs. The pt was very open and honest and told me some things that broke my heart, but I tried to be as understanding and therapist-like as possible without becoming too involved emotionally, which proved to be a very difficult task! The next patient was elderly and had Alzheimer's disease. The IT was rubbing lotion on the pt's feet and the pt kept asking if it was bug killer. The third patient we had was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure and had a lot of fluid sitting in the legs from the lack of circulation. The IT massaged the legs and I definitely noticed a reduction in swelling. The pt also had to urinate halfway through the session, which was a sign that the fluid was moving up the body. After a lunch break we saw three more patients. The last patient that we saw had Parkinson's disease. When I went to say goodbye, the patient said something and I couldn't quite understand so I moved my head closer to the pt's mouth and the pt kissed my cheek! I was so flattered and it made my day! :)

More to come in the next few days as I shadow more music therapists, social workers, chaplains, and nurses!

No comments:

Post a Comment